Visas for General Practitioners

Health Workforce Certificate – a new requirement for employer sponsored visas

New requirements for employers sponsoring overseas doctors to work in Australia are scheduled to commence on 25 February 2019. When employers lodge employer nomination applications for a Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) Visa, Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visas or Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa for an overseas trained doctor (OTD) in any of the occupations listed below, they must ensure the application includes a Health Workforce Certificate issued by a Rural Workforce Agency.

Occupations nominated in visa applications:
  • General Practitioner (ANZSCO 253111),
  • Resident Medical Officer (ANZSCO 253112); and
  • Medical Practitioner not elsewhere classified (ANZSCO 253999) occupation.

The certificate will only be provided where the advertised position responds to genuine workforce need. Without the certificate the nomination cannot be accepted by The Department of Home Affairs and the related visa cannot be granted.

For information how to obtain a Health Workforce Certificate go to:

Fact Sheets (PDF 199 KB)

Forms - Request an application form for a Health Workforce Certificate from

The Department of Home Affairs

File Attachment Icon
Factsheet Visas for GPs initiative.pdf